Overwatch 2 is a successful sequel to the original Overwatch that was released in 2016 and was available on PC, PS4, and Xbox and later joined the Nintendo Switch family. After an exciting launch, Overwatch 2 is now live on almost all the major gaming platforms.
Nowadays, as you know, everyone wants to play together because the pools of players are separated across different gaming platforms.
On top of this, the cross-platform feature is getting more and more popular, and many games are implementing it to make it a lot easier for groups of friends to join up and play together in the lobbies.
With plenty of options, players just got confused around so many platforms, and everyone’s query becomes the same, that is, whether or not you can play crossplay on Overwatch 2.
Without wasting any further of your time, let’s go to the point and see if there is any crossplay available for Overwatch 2, and if yes, then how you can play with your friends in a step-by-step guide.
Is Overwatch 2 Cross-platform?
The good news is you can play with your friends in the Crazy sequel of Overwatch by Blizzard Shooter on any platform.
It means yes, Overwatch 2 is a cross-platform game. Your friends playing Overwatch 2 on your PlayStation 4 will be able to join you on PS5 and vice versa.
The same is if they are from different consoles of family. Meaning they are playing from Xbox or PC, but they will still join you on your platform, which is PlayStation.
So, get ready to team up with your favorite buddies and battle up against each other. Regarding some challenges for Overwatch 2, I’ve published some more guides on this, too, which you can surely check on Gamizoid.
Moreover, in case you don’t know how the cross-progression works if you are joining from different consoles, let me clear you about that too here.
- Is elden ring cross platform
- Is fall guys cross platform
- Is redfall cross platform
- Is dead island 2 cross platform
How Cross-Progression Works In Overwatch 2
Well, if you playing the Overwatch 2, the cross-progression works like if you have the same account across multiple different consoles, your progression will be the same. For example, if you have earned something like a cosmetic item skin on the PC, now if you playing on your PlayStation 5, you just need to open the item and just equip it without the need to earn it again.
As you know, communities like Fortnite and Call of Duty already have this feature implemented in their games, but for that, they just need a main account by using that, they can transfer the whole progression from one platform to another.
The same thing is here, too, for Overwatch 2, All Overwatch 2 progression is stored inside your Battle.net account, so all of your items like cosmetics, points, and progression will be tied up to this.
If you have linked your Xbox account or PlayStation account with the Battle.net ID, your in-game wallet will be shared and will be available regardless of the platform you are playing on.
Remember one thing before merging, Overwatch 2 is a free-to-play game that requires microtransactions within the game.
For players playing from Nintendo Switch, the process is a little bit different, and all the purchased or redeemed on the Switch, including your tokens, will remain on the system exclusive, but the in-game earned currency is still available on any of the platforms you have decided to play.
For players playing from a PC with a Battle.net account merged, your gameplay statistics and skills ratings are handled differently, and it will be separated by input pool, and Overwatch merges your stats using the best value for each category for the individual values.
Like if your individual stats are good on one platform and you are playing on another one, Overwatch will merge and list the best value for each of the categories across all the platforms this also extends into the endorsements you get.
How To Add Friends In Overwatch 2 For Crossplay
So, whether you are playing from PS5 or Xbox, or PC, you need a Battle.net account for that which should be linked to the platform you are playing on, but how you can play with your friends after linking your Battle account remains a question.
In this section, I’m going to tell each and everything you need to follow in order to play Overwatch 2 with your friends.
- First, make sure you don’t have a trial account if you already have an account on Battle.net, or if you don’t have one, please create one.
- Here’s how to create your account > Head over to Battle.net account > Create a new account > Go to settings once that account has been created.
- Now you will see a “Connections” section (Connect your Battle.net to your Xbox Live, Playstation Network, or Nintendo account.) From here, you will follow the guide to link to your platform of choice.
- Please start Overwatch 2 from your console now. You will see a welcome screen there.
- You will see be presented with an alpha numeric code and a QR code which you need when you are opening this link from your mobile: blizzard.com/link
- Now return back to your Battle.net account for the confirmation
- All is done finally, and you need to keep an eye on the game where you will see something mentioned like the job is done
This is how you are going to set up the Battle.net account regardless of the platform you choose to play on. Whether you are playing from PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo, now you can enjoy and dominate in the lobbies with your friends.
For adding your friends:
- Open the social menu in Overwatch 2
- Click “Add a Friend” and type the email address or the battletag of your friend.
- Click the submit button and do invite them once they have already accepted your friend request.
How To Enable Crossplay On Overwatch 2
Now that you have successfully connected the Battle.net account and connected any of the new-generation gaming platforms to it, it’s time to enable the crossplay from Xbox, PS5, and PS4.
- Load up Overwatch 2 game on your platform and Press the “Xbox button” or Press the “Options” if on PlayStation.
- Now go to Profile & System > Settings > Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox privacy > View details and customize > Communication & multiplayer > Choose to Enable or Disable the cross-platform.
- For PlayStation users > Options > Gameplay > General > Cross-Platform Play > Turn it on!
Can You Play Crossplay In Overwatch 2 Competitive Ranked?
You can’t play crossplay in the competitive ranked mode because of the input devices. Meaning if you are playing from a console, you can’t compete with the players playing with a keyboard and mouse on a PC, and the same is if you are playing with a mouse, you can’t play with players playing with the controller or against the console players.
So PC players can’t play with the console players because of the input type. But yeah good news is you can still play the competitive ranked play in your lobbies with the players on your same platform, which totally makes sense.
Now you have got the answer, I can expect that you know what to do now. Playing with your mates is always a fun-to-do thing, and games like Overwatch 2 really need some fun while playing in competitive lobbies.
I hope by following all the steps, you have created the account and linked your platform. You have already invited your friends, and now you are just waiting for the post to conclude.
Feel free to share your questions with me in the comments box or message me directly on the social media channels for Gamizoid.